Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 9: A Quick Feeding

This post represents DAY 9 of the day-by-day documentary of the gardening adventures of a newly-wed first-time gardening couple. They are not only first-time bucket gardeners but first-time any kind of gardeners. The details of their successes and failures will be communicated here so you can follow along with your garden - if you wish. To see links to each of the "days" click here.

Day 9: A Quick Feeding


Today we stopped at the garden for a quick feeding on our way out of town for Memorial Day weekend. We used our nutrient mix from Day 4 {the 2 Tbsp for 1 gallon of water ratio}. I generously sprayed the tops and bottoms of each leave on each of our growing plants.


I have decided that it is ok to leave the nutrient mixture in our sprayer because it is kind of smelly and messy to try to pour it in and back out each time. I don't think this will cause any problems because it is an organic spray. You are welcome to copy me.

You may notice some gaps in my posting for the next little while... Any day where I don't do something eventful I probably won't post any sort of documentary. Those days just include looking the garden over for any harmful insects and making sure the water is working properly. I'll save you {and myself} the boredom of posting the same thing day after day. If I see any problems though - I'll be sure to let you know - and of course I'll keep posting whenever I do something other than checking for bugs and checking water status. Don't you even worry about that!

Cross your fingers that we have some little seedlings popping up in the near future! Thanks!

1 comment:

Melody said...

I might mention that I went out the other day to spray my plants again and the sprayer got clogged because there was so much disgusting growth inside the bottle that was too think to just shake up. I suggest making smaller batches and either refrigerating it to see if it will slow down the bacterial growth, or discarding the extra. I'm open if others have better ideas, but that stuff is pretty awful looking, and I would say smelling, but it already smelled so bad that I couldn't tell if it was any worse with the scum in it. :)