Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 5: Over Exaggerating

This post represents DAY 5 of the day-by-day documentary of the gardening adventures of a newly-wed first-time gardening couple. They are not only first-time bucket gardeners but first-time any kind of gardeners. The details of their successes and failures will be communicated here so you can follow along with your garden - if you wish. To see links to each of the "days" click here.

Day 5: Over Exaggerating

Well my plants are still alive. They seem to be doing well overall but any tiny tendency of looking less than green and crisp and hydrated makes me so angry at myself! I think I'm way over exaggerating.... I whispered to each of them today as I watered them that I would never ever ever ever double the nutrient I was supposed to feed them ever ever ever again {AND THEY PROBABLY LAUGHED AT ME BECAUSE THEY KNEW I HADN'T OVERFED THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE TRANSPLANTS - see Day 4}. They appreciated that {see Day 4 for the over nutriented feeding low down}.

Today wasn't super sunny so I only watered them once. The dirt in the pots is nice and moist - all the way to the bottom - I did the finger check again - remember? Stick your finger into the dirt {in a corner so you don't disturb any roots} and make sure the soil is moist at the bottom. I didn't do a really drenching watering - mostly I just sprayed the leaves. The leaves only absorb the nutrient when they are wet so it's a good idea to get them wet. Unfortunately, my priority was more trying to spray off all the extra nutrient I gave them...

Tomorrow evening marks almost 3 days from their first feeding which means I will be planting them in the garden! Wish me luck!

No comments: